Friday, April 10, 2009

She Stole Back Her Heart

My incredible journey
when will come to an end
in the spirit of learning
your hearts I will mend

A mother so young
A father addicted
my life was begun
so early afflicted.

The weight was too steady
her health failed her first
he found another already
still...not the worst.

her babies are taken
sold to another
a death in the making
sister and brother

I do not belong
they don't look like me
my heart knows it's wrong
I want to be free

Where is she now
how can this be?
I will survive this somehow
they won't destroy me.

Their efforts are great
the beatings are often
striking with hate
one away from a coffin

Somehow, she survives
the ending is near
she will leave there alive
the last lonely tear.

Freedom awaits
she will see them once more
open the gates
let her walk through the door.

oh, what was she thinking
she expected so much
he was still drinking
and she lost her touch..

the caress of a mother
had left long ago
taken by another
blow after blow....

She holds him so close
this is her father
her empty heart knows
don't even bother

He's slipping away
one drink at a time
she begs him to stay
he's commited a crime

He has taken his life
he took it from me.
the call cuts like a knife
she drops to her knees...

She has waited so long
endured so much pain
it all felt so wrong
there was nothing to gain.

The room was so black
for what seemed like forever
she clawed her way back
she pulled it together

a new life beginning
she grew it inside
a battle worth winning
the moment he cried.

I saw in his face
my father's delight
such beauty and grace
came from one night.

My world changed that day
my son saved my life
in so many ways
he pulled out the knife.

Now there are three
each life was a moment
given to me
in repair for my torment

This person you know
was not always here
she had to grow
with each wasted tear.

To survive being beaten and raped
to be able to heal
and leave a prison of hate
she had to steal.

From the eyes of a child
she stole back her heart
a spirit gone wild
was back at the start.

The memories will stay
the tears still continue flow
but this is today
and yesterday, is not tomorrow.

There is pain in our lives
we all must endure
If I can survive
you can, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment